Baptism is the first Sacrament a Christian recieves.
Baptism imparts an indelible mark upon one's soul and Christ claims us for Himself at our baptism.
Infant baptism is for children birth through age 6.
For children age 7 and older see Christian Initiation for Children (below).
For adults see Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (below).
Welcome to infant baptism preparation at St. Stephen the Martyr parish!
- To begin preparation, make sure your family is registered at St. Stephens (at least three months in advance of desired month of baptism). If you are receiving envelopes, you are registered.
- Please begin preparation at least three (3) months prior to the desired month of baptism. If you have extended family who must plan travel, please consider taking the class five (5) months prior to the desired month of baptism so you will be able to notify them of the date well in advance.
- Preparation classes are required for parents and sponsors (godparents). Classes are offered monthly usually on a Saturday morning. You may take the class while your child is pre-born.
- Parents must provide a copy of the child's birth certificate. If you are preparing prior to the baby's birth, you may provide a copy of the birth certificate after the baby is born.
- Parents must complete the Baptism Information Packet which is available at the Faith Formation Office or at the baptism preparation class.
- Parents are responsible for providing all required certificates and completed forms.
- Baptism is scheduled after all preparation is complete.
- Baptisms are celebrated on pre-determined weekends usually during Saturday Vigil and Sunday Masses. There are no infant baptisms during Advent and Lent.
Next infant baptism preparation classes
- Regarding sponsors/godparents:
- All sponsors must be baptized Christians.
- Sponsors must be active in their faith communities.
- Sponsors must be at least 16 years of age and living a life consistent with Catholic teaching.
- At least one sponsor must be a confirmed Catholic and proof of confirmation is required.
- Sponsors who are Catholic and provide proof of Confirmation are Godparents.
- Sponsors who do not provide proof of confirmation must provide proof of baptism.
- Sponsors who provide proof of baptism and not Catholic Confirmation are Christian Witnesses.
- A maximum of two sponsors (one male and one female) are recorded in the parish baptism record and on the baptism certificate.
Classes are Saturday mornings from 9:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. and are usually in the classroom wing.
- May 20, 2017
- June 10, 2017
- July 8, 2017
One class session is required to fulfil your obligation.
Class: $10; Baptism: $30 per family.
are celebrated on predetermined weekends usually during Saturday Vigil and Sunday Masses. There are no infant baptisms during Advent and Lent.
[No infant baptisms will be celebrated during March and April 2017.]
For more information, contact Teresa Wright at
or (253)631- 6175 ext. 120 .
Christian Initiation for Children
is for children who are not yet baptized and are
7 years old
or older. Please contact the Faith Formation Office at (253) 631-6175.
For adult baptism
Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA)
on the Faith Formation page. Please contact Anne Merklin at (253) 631-1940 ext. 126 or
For Baptism Certificates for other Sacraments or to enroll in a Catholic School
If you require a certificate of baptism so you or your child can continue in Sacramental preparation (First Sacraments, Confirmation, Matrimony, Holy Orders) or so your child can enroll in a Catholic school, please contact Betty Mencke in the parish office at (253) 631-1940 extension 100.